DELICIOUSLY RICH AND CREAMY, THIS DISH IS IDEAL SERVED AS A WARM SIDE OR MAIN MEAL WITH SOME STEAMED VEGGIES OR SALAD.
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) cooking oil
- 125 g rindless streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 250 ml (1 cup) grated Cheddar cheese
- 200 ml sachet Spur Cheese Sauce
- 200 ml milk
- 10 ml (2 tsp) fresh origanum, chopped
- 5 ml (1 tsp) Spur Classic Biltong Spice
- Add freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Boil potatoes until soft, then cut into slices. Layer in an ovenproof dish.
- Heat oil in a heavy-based frying pan and fry bacon and onion until soft. Remove from heat and spread over potatoes. Top with cheese.
- Mix cheese sauce, milk, origanum and seasonings together and pour over potatoes. Leave for about 10 minutes for sauce to soak in.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for about 40 minutes.
- Substitute Spur Cheese Sauce with Spur Mushroom or Pepper Sauce.
- Substitute the medium potatoes with small, unpeeled baby potatoes.
- For a vegetarian option, substitute the bacon with asparagus or mushrooms.
- Cut out the grated cheese for a healthier and lighter option.