FRAGRANT AND TENDER, A ROAST IS ALWAYS A HIT
FOR SUNDAY LUNCH WITH THE FAMILY. SLICE AND
SERVE WITH FRESH VEGGIES AND A DECADENT
- 2.2 kg beef aitchbone
- A few sprigs rosemary
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled, quartered and parboiled
- 4 whole garlic bulbs, tops cut off
- 100 ml olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 8 ml (1½ tsp) Spur Seasoning Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 ml (1½ tsp) Spur Meat Spice
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) finely grated lemon rind
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) fresh, chopped rosemary or 15 ml (1 Tbsp) dried rosemary
- 200 ml (¾ cup) Spur Hickory Basting
- Place beef in an oven-roasting pan with sprigs of rosemary.
- Combine all basting sauce ingredients together.
- Brush beef with basting sauce and roast at 160°C for 20–25 minutes per 500 g, (add an additional 20 minutes to the cooking time if medium–well doneness is preferred).
- Add potatoes, garlic and more rosemary halfway through cooking time. Drizzle with more basting sauce or olive oil if needed and return to oven for remaining cooking time.
- Remove from oven and leave in a warm place for 10 minutes before carving.
- Boil remaining basting sauce over a high heat until reduced.
- Serve roast beef with potatoes, garlic and basting sauce.
- Substitute potatoes with sweet potatoes or butternut or serve roast with broccoli, baby carrots or any other vegetables of your choice.