Tacos filled with delicious spicy chicken – the perfect midweek dinner!
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 chicken fillets, (about 500 g), cut into strips
- About 60 ml (¼ cup) Spur Peri-Peri Sauce
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) freshly chopped thyme or 10 ml (2 tsp) dried
- about 5 ml (1 tsp) Spur Texas Steak Seasoning
- 5 ml (1 tsp) Spur Seasoning Salt
- 400 g can red kidney beans, drained
- 10 – 12 taco shells
- Iceberg lettuce, finely shredded
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 125 ml (½ cup) grated Cheddar cheese
- fresh thyme or micro herbs for garnishing
- Heat oil in a heavy-based large pan. Add onion and sauté for a few minutes until soft.
- Add chicken, Peri-Peri Sauce, thyme and seasonings and fry for a few minutes until cooked and starts to brown.
- Add the beans, simmer for a few minutes and set aside.
- Spoon mixture in the middle of each taco shell.
- Place four or more taco shells, upright, on greaseproof paper in an air fryer, depending on size.
- If necessary, keep taco shells upright by placing crunched paper on the sides.
- Heat the tacos in air fryer at 180 °C for about 5 minutes. Remove.
- Topping: Sprinkle lettuce, tomatoes and grated cheese over fillings.
- Drizzle with Spur Sweet Chilli Sauce. Garnish with fresh thyme and serve immediately.
- Substitute chicken with 250 g rindless streaky bacon, or omit meat and add vegetables of choice for a meat-free dish.
- Substitute Spur Peri-Peri Sauce with Spur Southern Style Barbecue Sauce.
- Heat tacos and filling in an air fryer for 5 minutes.
- Top each filling with about 15 ml (1 Tbsp) Spur Cheese Sauce, followed by grated cheese.
- Heat further in air fryer for about 3 minutes for cheese to melt. Serve the tacos warm.