THIS CURRY WILL TASTE EVEN MORE DELICIOUS
THE NEXT DAY, SO MAKE IT FOR THE FAMILY A
DAY IN ADVANCE!
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) finely chopped fresh ginger
- 15 cardamom pods, optional
- 5 ml (1 tsp) coriander seeds
- 5 ml (1 tsp) fennel seeds
- 8 ml (1½ tsp) ground cumin
- 5 ml (1 tsp) garam masala
- 1 ml (pinch) ground turmeric
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (410 g) chopped tomatoes
- 60 ml (¼ cup) Spur Durky Sauce
- 60 ml (¼ cup) Spur Peri-Peri Sauce
- 20 ml (4 tsp) brown sugar
- Spur Seasoning Salt and Spur Meat Spice, to taste
- 800 g mixed chicken pieces
- Fresh coriander, to garnish
- Basmati rice, to serve
- Combine ginger, cardamom, coriander and fennel in a pestle and mortar. Grind or mash together. Add cumin, garam masala and turmeric and mix well.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Add onion and sauté until soft. Add ground spices and more oil if necessary. Fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, Spur Durky Sauce, Spur Peri-Peri Sauce, sugar, Spur Seasoning Salt and Spur Meat Spice. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken pieces and stir well. Reduce heat and simmer with lid on for about 20 minutes. Add the coriander and stir gently. Serve with basmati rice.