This versatile dish can either be used as a salad with the rice as a base, or as a side dish topped with beautiful veggies.
- 250g brown and wild rice
- 2 ml (¼ tsp) salt
- 250g pumpkin, peeled
- 125 ml (½ cup) Spur Sweet ‘n Sticky Marinade
- 3 ml (½ tsp) ground cinnamon
- 125 g baby beetroot, cooked and quartered
- 200 g chickpeas, drained
- 100 g feta, cut in cubes
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- Cover rice with water, add salt and boil until soft. Drain and set aside.
- Cut pumpkin into small cubes and boil with water in a small pot until soft. Add half of Spur Sweet ‘n Sticky Marinade and cinnamon. Heat through until sauce is absorbed and remove from heat.
- Mix all other salad ingredients together with remaining marinade and stir lightly through rice.
- Cover and chill in the fridge for about 1 hour to allow the flavours to mingle. Garnish with spring onions or any other herbs.
- Substitute the brown and wild rice with only brown rice, couscous or any small pasta of choice.
- Substitute the spring onions with rocket.
- Substitute pumpkin with butternut.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes or pitted olives.