Make these crumpets extra impressive by topping them with fresh berries, or any other fruit such as figs. For the finishing touch – drizzle with honey or syrup.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together. Add the Spur Seasoning Salt and sugar.
- Whisk the egg, milk, water and Spur Salad & French Fry Dressing together. Add to the dry ingredients and beat until smooth and lump free. Leave to stand for about 10 minutes, before using. If the batter is too thick, add a little water.
- Heat the butter and oil in a griddle or frying pan. Spoon about 30 ml (2 Tbsp) of batter into the pan and fry on one side. When bubbles appear on surface, turn over and fry on the other side until golden brown. Serve with fresh fruits, butter, jam, syrup or honey.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, Spur Seasoning Salt and cocoa powder together.
- Add dry ingredients, alternately with Spur Salad & French Fry Dressing to creamed mixture. Mix well.
- Spoon batter into prepared pans. Bake in oven for about 25 minutes or until baked through and skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool slightly in pan. Turn onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
Add any one these to the batter:
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) muesli
- 4 ripe, mashed, sliced or quartered bananas
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) grated raw pumpkin or butternut
- After removing the crumpets from the pan, place on a clean, dry dishcloth to keep them soft.
- To freeze crumpets, stack them on top of one another with greaseproof paper in between and wrap in cling film. Freeze for up to 2 months.