This is real comfort food! A sweet and sour classic served with any starch of choice.
We recommend a soft, creamy polenta.
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) cooking oil
- 600 g (about 16) pork sausages
- 2 large onions, peeled and sliced
- 80 ml (3/4 cup) light brown sugar
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) Worcestershire sauce
- 60 ml (½ cup) tomato sauce
- 200 ml (¾ cup) Spur Sweet ‘n Sticky Marinade
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) brown vinegar
- 5 ml (1 tsp) Instant coffee powder
- 5 ml (1 tsp) Spur Smokey BBQ Spice
- Heat oil in a heavy-based saucepan. Fry sausages until light brown.
- Add onions and sauté lightly for about 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the same saucepan, bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes. Serve with mashed potatoes or mashed polenta.
- Substitute the pork sausages with beef sausages.
- The dish can also be baked in the oven for about 30 minutes at 180°C.
- 150 g polenta.
- 250 ml (1 cup) milk.
- 250 ml (1 cup) water.
- 5 ml (1 tsp) salt.
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) butter or margarine.
- 2 ml (¼ tsp) salt.
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Heat milk and water in a heavy-based saucepan. Bring to the boil and add polenta. Whisk for 8 – 10 minutes, while cooking over low heat. Add more water if necessary. Add butter and seasoning.