Use any interesting containers to make these scones. Empty vegetable or tuna cans are ideal, even enamel cups will work.
- 500 ml (2 cups) cake flour
- 18 ml (3½ tsp) baking powder
- 1 ml (pinch) salt
- 50 g (½ cup) grated cheddar, plus extra for serving
- 1 extra-large egg
- 200 ml (1 sachet) Spur Cheese Sauce
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) cooking oil
- 80 ml (1/3 cup)milk
- 1 egg mixed with 15 ml (1 Tbsp) milk, for glazing
- Butter, for serving
- Jam, for serving
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease baking tins or cups.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Add grated cheese.
- Whisk egg, Spur Cheese Sauce, oil and milk together. Gradually add to dry ingredients and mix lightly to form a soft dough.
- Place into the prepared containers. Brush the tops with beaten egg and milk mixture.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes, depending on size of cans.
- Serve warm with butter, jam and grated cheese.
- Substitute milk with buttermilk for softer scones.
- Add 15 ml (1 Tbsp) freshly chopped chives to dry ingredients.
- When baking on a baking tray, turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and press to a thickness of 2 cm. Cut out rounds with a 6 cm scone cutter.