This meal is comfort food at its best. Wholesome and easy to make, the perfect meal for the whole family!
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) cooking oil
- 1 kg lean beef mince
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 125 g uncooked elbow macaroni
- 420 g can cream-style sweetcorn
- 100 g green peas
- 1 – 2 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) tomato paste
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) Spur Durky Sauce
- 125 ml (½ cup) Spur Braai-time Marinade
- 60 ml (¼ cup) water
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) chopped fresh thyme or 5 ml (1 tsp) dried
- 3 ml (½ tsp) Spur Texas Steak Spice
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 200 ml (1 sachet) Spur Cheddamelt or Spur Cheese Sauce
- 250 ml (1 cup) milk
- 75 g (¾ cup) grated Cheddar cheese
- 3 ml (½ tsp) salt
- Prehead the oven to 180°C.
- Heat oil in a large heavy-based large saucepan. Fry the meat until colour changes. Add onion and green pepper and sauté lightly for about 2 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients, stir well and spoon into a large ovenproof dish.
- Topping: Mix Spur Cheddamelt Sauce, milk, 50 g cheese and salt together. Pour over meat base in dish.
- Bake for about 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat, sprinkle remaining cheese over. Put back in oven for another 5 minutes for cheese to melt and serve warm. Garnish with fresh thyme.