These richly flavoured pies present beautifully and can be served in individual bowls, or made as a full, hearty single large serving.
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) olive oil
- 1.2 kg leg of lamb, cut into strips or cubes
- About 8 pickling onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 5 ml (1 tsp) sugar
- 200 ml (¾ cup) Spur Steak Sauce
- 60 ml (¼ cup) Spur Grill Basting Sauce
- 200 ml (1 sachet) Spur Mushroom Sauce
- 200 ml (¾ cup) water
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) chopped fresh rosemary or 10 ml (2 tsp) dried
- 3 ml (½ tsp) Spur Smokey BBQ Spice
- 200 g frozen peas
- 4 sheets (about 80 g) phyllo pastry
- 50 g butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Heat oil in a medium, heavy-based saucepan. Add lamb and fry in batches until browned. Add onions and carrots and sauté for a few minutes until soft.
- Add tomatoes, peas, garlic, sugar, Spur Steak Sauce, Spur Grill Basting Sauce, Spur Mushroom Sauce, water, rosemary and Spur Smokey BBQ Spice. Simmer, covered, for about 1 hour.
- Add peas and spoon mixture into individually greased ovenproof pie dishes. Leave to cool slightly.
- Cook the pizza dough base over low coals for 3 – 5 minutes, until the dough is lightly brown underneath. Turn pizza base over, so cooked side is uppermost.
- Cut pastry in strips, brush with melted butter and crush up over the meat.
- Bake for 10 – 15 minutes until pastry is golden brown and crisp. Serve warm.
- Substitute the pickling onions with 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped.
- Lamb Curry Pies: Omit tomatoes and add 5 ml (1 tsp) ground cumin and 20 ml (4 tsp) medium curry powder.
- Sprinkle brushed pastry with sesame seeds before baking.