Nothing like a hearty fish pie for a midweek solution for the family – phyllo pastry filled with all the tasty ingredients.
- 30ml (2 Tbsp) butter or margarine
- 60ml (1/4 cup) cooking oil
- About 700g fresh hake fillets
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 80ml (1/3 cup) Spur Grill Basting
- 125ml (about 80g) frozen green peas
- 400ml (2 sachets) Spur Cheddamelt or Spur Cheese Sauce
- 60ml (1/4 cup) milk
- 30ml (2 Tbsp) chopped fresh parsley or 10ml (2 tsp) dried parsley
- 3ml (1/2 tsp)
- 200ml (3/4 cup) grated Cheddar cheese
- 3-4 sheets phyllo pastry
- 80g butter, melted for brushing
- Add butter and half of the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan.
- Add hake and fry lightly until done.
- Remove from pan, cut into large chunks and set on base of a medium greased ovenproof dish.
- Add remaining oil in pan and lightly fry onion and peas for a few minutes.
- Spoon over the fish and mix in lightly.
- Whisk together the Spur Cheddamelt Sauce, Spur Grill Basting, milk, parsley and Spur Seasoning Salt.
- Pour over fish and top with grated cheese.
- Cut each pastry sheet into 4-6 strips. Crunch one-by-one lightly by hand and layer over the fish. Brush well with melted butter.
- Bake in a preheated oven of 200°C for about 15 minutes, or until pastry turns golden brown. Serve warm.
- When using frozen fish, drain well as it can become slightly watery.
- Substitute any other fish, such as kingklip, haddock or snoek, for the hake.
- Boil two eggs until hard, quarter and layer over the fish, under the pastry.
- Replace the peas with broccoli, coarsely chopped carrots or spinach.
- The phyllo pastry can also be substituted with any other pastry, such as puff pastry or even creamy mashed potatoes.
- Instead of a large pie, make individual smaller pies.