Chickpeas are a great source of protein and act as the binder in these patties. These are essentially a vegetable falafel and ideal for vegetarians. Plus, they’re healthy and delicious!
- 1 can (410g) chickpeas, drained
- 3 slices white or brown bread
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) Spur Peri-Peri Sauce
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 extra-large eggs, beaten
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) cake flour, plus extra for coating
- 2 ml (¼ tsp) Spur Seasoning Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 125 ml (½ cup) dried breadcrumbs, for coating
- Cooking oil, for frying
- 6 hamburger rolls
- Blend half of the chickpeas with a hand blender. Slightly crush the other half with a fork.
- Soak bread slices in Spur Peri-Peri Sauce until soft. Combine the bread, chickpeas, onion, garlic, 1 egg, cake flour and pepper. Mix well.
- Shape mixture into 6–8 patties. Whisk remaining eggs and roll patties in flour, dip in eggs and coat with breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in a heavy-based frying pan and shallow-fry the patties for 2–3 minutes per side or until golden. Drain on kitchen towel.
- Serve inside hamburger rolls immediately.
- These patties are best eaten warm, as they become dry when cooled or kept for the following day.
- Add 60 g frozen peas and 10 ml (2 tsp) freshly chopped mint to patty mixture.
- Add 1 coarsely grated medium carrot to patty mixture.