Nothing better that a soul warming soup on a cold winter’s night. And the best part of this recipe is that you’re free to use any vegetables of your choice.
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) butter or margarine
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 6 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 410 g can red kidney beans
- 1 litre (4 cups) beef or vegetable stock
- 125 ml (½ cup) Spur Braai-time Marinade
- 5 ml (1 tsp) Spur Seasoning Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) chopped fresh parsley or 10 ml (2 tsp) dried
- Heat the butter in a large, heavy-based saucepan and sauté the onion until soft.
- Pour boiling water over tomatoes and remove skin.
- Add the remaining ingredients, bring to the boil and simmer for about 30 minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
- Liquidise three-quarters of soup, add remaining soup and bring to the boil. Serve warm and garnish with parsley. Serve with any bread, rolls or croutons, if preferred.
- Add 200 g fresh asparagus or broccoli.
- Substitute tomatoes and carrots with 500 g button mushrooms, coarsely chopped.
- Substitute the potatoes with sweet potatoes.
- For a creamy tomato soup, omit the carrots and potatoes and add 10 medium tomatoes. Reduce stock to 375 ml. Add 10 ml (2 tsp) sugar and 3 ml (½ tsp) Spur Peri-Peri Sauce and then purée the soup.
- For a meaty soup, add 250 g (4) sausages, fried and sliced.