Almond cake plus nectarines are a perfect match, and with the addition of custard, it’s even better.
- 80 g orange jelly
- 250 ml boiled water
- 60 ml (¼ cup) cooking oil
- 200 ml (¾ cup) light brown sugar
- 1 extra-large egg
- 3 ml (½ tsp) almond essence
- 250 ml (1 cup) cake flour
- 5 ml (1 tsp) baking powder
- 1 ml (pinch) salt
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) Spur Salad & French Fry Dressing
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) milk
- 375 ml (1½ cups) ready-made custard
- 4 nectarines, sliced
- Toasted almond flakes
- Dissolve jelly in boiled water. Place in fridge to set.
- Almond cake: Cream oil and sugar. Add egg and beat until light and creamy. Add almond essence and mix.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Combine Spur Salad & French Fry Dressing and milk. Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture, alternating with the Spur Salad & French Fry Dressing and milk. Mix until smooth.
- Pour into lined and greased muffin tray. Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for about 15 minutes. Leave to cool in pan before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Remove set jelly from fridge and cut into small squares.
- Assemble dessert: Spoon custard into glasses. Layer with pieces of cake, then top with nectarine slices, jelly and almond flakes. Repeat the layers of custard, almond cake, nectarines and almond flakes and serve immediately.
- Replace muffin tray with an 18 x 27 cm rectangular pan and cut cake into cubes.
- Use leftover cake for any occasion – it can be frozen for later use.